Spiaggiole Morellino di Scansano DOCG 2015 - Sangiovese



Spiaggiole Morellino di Scansano DOCG 2015 - Sangiovese 

The Spiaggiole comes from 20 hectares of prime coastal siliceous clay soils which are rather gravelly, shallow and arid; great conditions for bright, fresh Sangiovese for short to midterm cellaring. Morellino di Scansano DOCG is an Italian red wine made in the hilly environs of the village of Scansano (GR), in the Maremma, which includes a part of the coast of southern Tuscany which has an ancient but obscure tradition of winemaking. Morellino is the local name for the Sangiovese grape varietal. Many people think that the name Morellino comes from “Morello” (brown), the colour of Maremmano horses. The name may also come from the Morello cherry, an almost inky red cherry with great tartness and acidity. The wine, which was granted DOC status in 1978, and upgraded to DOCG status from the 2007 vintage, is made from at least 85% Sangiovese (which is also the basis of the tuscan wines: Chianti, Brunello di Montalcino and Vino Nobile di Montepulciano). The remaining 0–15% can comprise any non aromatic black grape varieties included in a list made and periodically updated by the Regione Toscana (Tuscany) local authorities. “Morellino di Scansano, the quintessential wine of the Maremma, is now the Tuscan wine of choice in the chicest enoteche (wine bars) of Rome.

I’ve loved morellino since I first came across it, tasting samples with my wine merchant father, nearly 20 years ago, when it was fairly new on the wine map.” - Harry Eyres, The Telegraph London

An intense ruby-red colour with a fruity nose and hints of wild berries.  On the palate, it has notable acidity, characteristic of the Sangiovese grape.  Well-balanced with great structure and elegance.

Perfect with red meats, pastas or entrees and mature cheeses.

The vintage on any bottleshot or graphic may not be correct. The vintage noted with the wine name will be correct.

COVID-19 Update: We have been notified by our courier companies that due to Covid-19, there are high volumes of parcels in their networks and are they are currently experiencing delays.